Author Archives: Andrea HB9DUR
This year I am lucky enough to be able to attend to the following events:
- Contest University, Dayton
2. Dayton HAMVENTION 2017
1.Contest University will be held on Thursday May 18, 2017, from 7:00am to 5:00pm, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Dayton, Ohio the day before the Dayton Hamvention officially opens. See the program
CTU 2017 Topics:
- It’s a Fun Game – Let’s Operate The Right Way – W5ZN
- How to Improve your Transmitting Antennas for Low Solar Activity – W3LPL
- Introduction to Introduction to Contesting – NØAX
- CW and RTTY Skimmer and the Reverse Beacon Network – N6TV
- Optimizing 6 Meter Contest Scores Utilizing JT Digital Modes – W5ZN
- Easy to Build Low Band Receiving Antennas for Small and Large Lots – W3LPL
- A Deep Dive Into Stacking Yagis – W8WWV
- Grounding and Bonding for the Little Pistol and Medium Gun – NØAX
- RTTY Contesting, A to Z – WØYK
- How to Adapt your DX Contest Strategies for Low Solar Activity – W3LPL
- Little Pistols, Bigger Scores – K2YWE
- The Advantages of Waterfall Displays for Contesting and DXing – N6TV
- Advanced Topics in RTTY Contesting – WØYK
- Contesting is Amateur Radio’s Shining Star – ALL – 10 minutes – K3LR
- The Wonderful World of Space Weather – Dr. Tamitha Skov
- Antennas and Propagation – W3LPL
- Contest Shack Design Ideas – NØAX
- Waterfalls, Recordings and Reverse Beacon Network – N6TV
- Antenna/Tower Reliability – W3YQ
- Small Stations With Big Ideas – K2YWE
- Receiving Antenna Ideas – W3LPL
- RTTY Contesting Discussion – WØYK
- Disruptive Technologies, How they Change our Hobby – NCØB
2.Dayton HAMVENTION will be held May 19, 20 and 21, 2017 at the Greene County Fairgrounds and Expo Center.
The show is moving from HARA arena in Trotwood, Ohio. The new location, Greene County Fair & Exposition Center in Xenia, Ohio, is about 20 miles south-east of HARA.
You can book your QSL and I will handover them to you at the booth. More info.
I’m looking forward to your visit.
73, Andrea HB9DUR
Major changes in the Helvetia contest this year being now International (any-to-any).
As I was supporting these changes in the rules, I took then immediately the challenge to operate outside of HB9, although not in one of the best DX location (south on Milan) due to the closeness to HB9 (propagation skip).
Second purpose was to finally enjoy on the air several weekends of station maintenance @IO2X.
I really mad a good and relaxed experience in the SO2R-mode with two keyboards outside major contests.
Conditions Key band was 40m followed by 20m. Amazingly good on 15m Sunday morning 09:00 to 10:30 but unfortunately no activity on SSB (CW skimmers were reporting good signal strength from EU to Asia and Pacific. Just 25 QSO, mostly with HB9. Highligts were to be called by H44MS, 4S7LF or by BI4WOP with 100W and a vertical antenna being his first QSO-ever outside of Asia.I was expecting more on 80m
HB9 Several canton missed, so I suppose there was a lack of activity as well. The snowfalls just before the contest (yes, we had a dry winter and snow on the contest weekend…..) may have prevented some portable operation to be on. Anyway, in general, I strongly support a widespread activity of all Cantons, even for a limited time during the contest (say 3 to 4 hrs) in order to keep up the attractiveness of the event.
Rules I personally see a potential of “shaping” the rules that may fit more stations to increase DX participation. I hope the organizers will take it into consideration (just to mention one: Low power category).
Scores I am persuaded that this new form will bring more participants, just think that top scorer DX-stations were working 150 to max 200 QSO in the whole contest just being obliged to work HB9 stn only. From the declared I can now see that i.e LZ2HA went from 193 Q to 400+ QSO and YO9HP summarized 743 QSO in the Mixed category
Class: SO SSB HP
Operating Time (hrs): 16
Location: Southern Europe
|Summary: Compare Scores|
|Band||CW Qs||Ph Qs||Dig Qs||Mults|
A big thanks goes to Luca IK2NCJ for his support and to all stations for the contacts.
73, HB9DUR Andrea
DXLog.net version 2.3.12 is available. Just couple of fixes included this
- Helevetia contest – new rules added. (TNX HB9CAT, HB9DUR, IK2NCJ)
DXCluster line parser – fixed when longer callsign is spotter which
causing non fixed data structure. (TNX RM2D, DJ1YFK)
Chris – 9A5K